Israel and the Palestinian Authority signed a ceasefire agreement Friday morning.
The agreement was announced after Israel and Gaza announced a truce in the area of Rafah, west of Gaza City, to coincide with the end of the summer truce.
The Israeli army said it will suspend its operations in the Gaza Strip until it is notified of the agreement and that it will not resume attacks.
A senior Palestinian official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told reporters that the agreement was reached on Friday after the two sides reached a final agreement in the Jordanian capital, Amman, on Saturday.
The Palestinian Authority, which was elected last month, said it was satisfied with the deal and will immediately begin implementing it.
“The agreement signed by the Israeli military and the PA security cabinet stipulates that we will suspend our operations in Gaza and begin the implementation of the agreements signed in Amman,” a PA statement said.
“We are very happy about this agreement.
It is a major step towards ending the conflict in Gaza.”
Israel launched its ground offensive on July 8 in response to rocket fire from Gaza into southern Israel.
The fighting between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist group that controls Gaza, killed more than 2,100 Palestinians and nearly 1,000 Israelis.
In the latest violence, Israel killed a senior Hamas official in Gaza, a senior Palestinian leader in the enclave, and wounded another senior Hamas figure in the border town of Beit Hanoun.
Israel said Friday it was targeting the Hamas leader, Abu Khaled al-Malki, as part of its military campaign against the group.
It said it had killed five Hamas operatives in the past 24 hours, including two of the group’s top commanders, in a separate operation in the northern Gaza Strip.
The IDF said Friday that it had targeted Hamas military units in southern Gaza.
The Hamas military, the armed wing of the movement that rules Gaza, has been under intense Israeli military bombardment since Hamas won a sweeping parliamentary election in July.
The military offensive has killed at least 2,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian and Israeli officials, as well as Israeli and international monitors.
The UN says over 2,600 Palestinians have been killed in the fighting.
The war has also displaced some 6.4 million people, according the UN.